Careers with Exxel Pacific
Current positions available:
As a member of the Exxel TEAM in the Seattle area, the Senior Estimator is responsible for preparing conceptual and schematic project budgets, pre-bid packages, and final GMP and Lump Sum estimates for exciting construction projects to be built for Clients throughout the West Coast. Responsibilities also include working collaboratively with our project management teams in establishing a bidders list, soliciting and evaluating subcontractor proposals and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys, pricing the work, and reviewing project plans and specifications assuring cost accountability to the Client and Exxel Pacific for complete, detailed scope and budget coverage.
- Strong communicator, highly detail oriented, self-motivated TEAM player.
- Performs accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs during all phases of document development (schematic design, design development and construction documents).
- Prepares full and complete project estimates in both CSI and Systems format as required.
- Utilizing past experience, must poses the ability to foresee, identify and estimate missing, or yet to be defined, project scope that should be included in the project cost in the best interest of the Client and for the success of the project as a whole.
- Develops accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with the project management team’s assistance.
- Independently manages and schedules multiple estimating projects concurrently with acute ability to multitask.
- Obtains clarifications on plans and specifications from architects and engineers when necessary.
- Assists the project management team in soliciting and analyzing subcontractor and vendor pricing.
- Ability to identify, track and assess cost saving opportunities for the Client.
- Develops and tracks current market and historical unit costs accurately.
- Work closely with BIM team to collaborate on models and cost studies.
- Participate in plan and estimate review meetings, other project review meetings, and site investigations, as needed.
- Ability to read and utilize construction schedule information to estimate all time driven project costs.
- Assist in developing and refining templates/tools to increase efficiency and standardization in Estimating.
- Seek and solicit new subcontractors and suppliers and assure necessary pre-qualification steps are taken.
- Mentor project engineers in process of quality takeoff and analyzing subcontractors bids while they work in the estimating department.
- B.S. in Construction Management, Engineering with 10 + years of pre-construction/estimating experience on commercial/mixed-use construction projects or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possesses strong knowledge base in all divisions of commercial and mixed-use building project components including civil/site-work, foundation and structural systems, interior finishes, exterior wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software, On-Screen Takeoff (OST), Bluebeam/PDF, spread sheets, online plan rooms and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and computer based scheduling software. Experience with Viewpoint is beneficial.
As a member of the Exxel TEAM, the Project Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of one or more construction projects from pre-construction and project set-up to closeout and delivers projects successfully to completion. Works directly with management team to create the best overall customer service possible. Responsibilities include working closely with company management, overseeing the on-site project team, accountable for the project budget and job cost, subcontractors and subcontracts, and maintaining strong relationships with the Client and other project consultants and team members.
- Capable of being involved in every phase of the project including pre-construction, start-up, and close-out.
- Participate in redline review of construction documents including architectural and structural coordination.
- Request, review and track value engineering.
- Assists with estimate preparation: Send out RFP’s, compile and review sub bids, write and/or review bid summaries, prepare project budget
- Assist with assembly of the Owner Contract and create contract exhibits.
- Review and manage project schedule with project Superintendent.
- Project subcontractor and supplier buy-out based on schedule and/or design priorities.
- Set-up project job cost phase codes, owner billing Schedule of Values (SOV) and related paperwork for computer entry.
- Complete monthly job cost/profitability projections.
- Oversight of the Project Engineers (PE’s) duties including submittal processing, RFI and COR preparation.
- Prepare and/or review Change Order Requests (COR’s) prior to submittal to the Owner.
- Negotiate and write subcontractor change orders.
- Prepare, in conjunction with accounting, monthly applications for payment to the Owner.
- Reviews subcontractor invoices and billings for approval.
- Conduct weekly Owner, Architect, Contractor (OAC) meetings, site staff meetings and Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Sprinkler (MEPF) design and coordination meetings.
- Resolve issues with subcontractors and suppliers not handled in the field.
- Monitor, with Superintendent, project staffing and labor needs during the job progress.
- Assist the project team as needed to achieve timely project closeout and turnover while meeting quality expectations.
- Strong communicator with Exxel management and project team.
- Communicates and works closely with safety and quality control team to ensure full compliance on the job site.
- Must be a proven TEAM PLAYER.
- Degree in Construction Management or affiliated degree such as Architecture or Engineering with 3-5 years of Project Management experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possess strong knowledge base in all divisions of commercial and mixed-use building project components including civil/site-work, foundation and structural systems, interior finishes, exterior wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems.
- Possess strong knowledge of Owner contracts, subcontracts, billing process, scheduling, and estimating and ability to effectively create and manage these documents.
- Maintains great organizational and management skills, and very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills.
- Resourceful and diligent in seeking win-win solutions to daily challenges encountered on the job.
- Ability to delegate responsibilities, monitor results, and provide constructive feedback.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software, On-Screen Takeoff (OST), Bluebeam/PDF, spread sheets, online plan rooms and company communication tools, such as email, internet, as well as working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and computer based scheduling software. Experience with Viewpoint is highly beneficial.
As a member of the Exxel TEAM, the Interior Quality Control (IQC) Foreman ensures the interior project plans, subcontractors, and related materials achieve the highest level of quality and performance.
- Assist in reviewing interior plan documents including RFIs, contracts, submittals, and plan specifications.
- Maintain positive, professional relationships with subcontractors and understands each subcontractor’s scope of work.
- Create, set up and close out meetings as they pertain to the interior scopes.
- Create and distribute interior documents for subcontractors including managing all mock-ups and mock-up reports.
- Review, document, and ensure accurate work from subcontractors.
- Identify areas requiring improvement and enforce Exxel’s high quality expectations.
- Work closely with the Interior Quality Control Manager to effectively manage subcontractors, resolve complex issues, and ensure the project schedule is met.
- Setup and manage interior scope templates.
- Generate, track, distribute and monitor punch list items to maintain project schedule, and manage subcontractor quality.
- Work effectively with clients and design team to complete requests and ultimately deliver an excellent product.
- Works effectively in dynamic environment and thinks strategically under pressure.
- Highly effective in a team environment and promotes teamwork.
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience working with interior subcontractors on commercial, mixed-use and/or multi-family projects or 4-5 years’ experience in residential interior construction.
- Possesses strong knowledge base in layout, crew management, issue resolution, and subcontractor coordination.
- Ability to read blueprints, understand plan specifications and be able to apply them in the field.
- Strong computer and typing skills including the ability to use Bluebeam/PDF, photo editing, Microsoft Word & Excel, and the Internet.
Exxel Pacific utilizes a mentor based program where you will work as part of the project team, seeing your classroom experience come to life and make major contributions. During your internship, you’ll gain hands-on experience in all aspects of construction and begin to build the foundation for a potential full time career with Exxel Pacific.
- Participate in safety meetings & safety observations
- Obtain valuable experience on actual jobsite or at corporate office
- Document control
- Process & update RFI’s
- Process & review Submittals
- Assist in estimating bid packages, contract writing, sub selection & sub buyout
- Participate in the QA/QC process
- Observe how Owner & Subcontractor meetings are run
- Manage small work scopes with Team
- Learn how to navigate budgets, subcontracts, & bid summaries
- Participate in change order management
What Exxel Offers
- Exxel projects are primarily in Western Washington, particularly the Seattle metro area & Bellingham area
- Entry level Project Engineer positions on commercial ground-up projects
- Flexible career path-PEs can be promoted to PMs or Superintendents
- Ability to work during the school year
- Exxel is expecting opportunities to hire interns for full time jobs after graduation
We are looking for a broad range of positions. Feel free to apply for other construction positions not listed.
We are not like most construction companies. Our PEOPLE make us who we are.
The difference may not always be obvious to others. What makes Exxel unique can’t be seen, touched or articulated. Our people have made a commitment to live up to the values that we, as a company, have promised to our clients. Our pledge is to exceed our clients’ expectations in all that we do and, in the process, make the experience more fun & enjoyable.
Our team has built a reputation for fairness and integrity in our relationships with our clients, consultants, subcontractors and suppliers. We strive to select only those individuals who wholeheartedly share our commitment to quality, safety and integrity.
Exxel Pacific is seeking individuals who, above all else, desire joining and being a key member of an industry leading and dynamic company that is genuinely focused on its family of employees who, through working collaboratively together, create a thriving TEAM oriented culture.
The company being 100% employee owned provides Exxel Pacific employees the ability to OWN THEIR WORK in a unique way. In addition to being a great retirement benefit, the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) fosters Exxel’s commitment to its valuable employees in creating a successful and enduring company that is focused on a lasting future. We are looking for special people who have a desire to be employee owners, who wholeheartedly are committed to being part of a great team, responsible for leading by example and helping the company grow and in turn benefiting from this commitment and hard work by building strong relationships throughout our industry and prospering personally and as a TEAM.
|Medical||401K Match||Family Atmosphere|
|Dental||Employee Stock Ownership Plan||Safety Focused|
|Short Term Disability||Annual 360-degree Reviews||TEAM Oriented|
|Long Term Disability||Training & Certification Assistance|
|Employee Assistance Program||Short-Term Incentive Plan|
|Paid Time Off|
“My career at Exxel started at the age of 19, driving the company waste container truck, working with the small utilities and excavation crews. I loved how Exxel had the small company atmosphere, although we were working on large and impressive projects. I decided to go to school for Construction Management, working for Exxel as an Intern over the summer months and was re-hired as a Project Engineer when I graduated.
What I enjoy most is the freedom that management gives their employees to work within their means and make their own career path. If you have the desire to grow and take on new roles and responsibilities, they will support you and give you the opportunity to do so. This has helped my personal growth and career development immensely, as I have moved up through the ranks to Senior Project Manager in a relatively short time.
I value our relationship-based corporate culture, we treat people fairly and with respect, regardless of whether you are an Owner, Consultant, Subcontractor, fellow Employee, or someone living in the neighborhood of one of our projects. Relationships matter to the people of Exxel.”
-Tyson Scheenstra, Senior Project Manager
“Exxel Pacific has given me opportunities and fostered my career development since I worked as a laborer my first couple summers in college. I was hired as Project Engineer upon graduating and am now a Senior Superintendent. What I like about working for Exxel is how much they value their employees; they encourage critical thinking and embrace new ideas . They reward their employees through competitive wages, generous Short Term Incentive Plan, and company stock ownership; but most importantly, they reward their employees by providing a culture that fosters safety, teamwork, integrity, and a common goal of building a quality project and ensuring our clients are happy.”
-Jeff Christianson, Senior Project Superintendent
“My internship more than exceeded my expectations and I can’t think of a thing I would have changed. I was given tasks and responsibilities immediately and was also provided the tools needed do the work. I enjoyed the opportunity to work with numerous scopes of work and the various phases of each scope. At the beginning of this summer my hope was to stay busy and learn as much as possible, both of these things I was able to find in this internship.”
– Project Engineer Intern