One-time funeral home razed to make room for 80 apartments, new Hugo House center
July 1, 2016
Crews from Exxel Pacific have cleared the Capitol Hill site that years ago housed Manning’s Funeral Parlor and most recently Richard Hugo House, a nonprofit center for writers. It is at 1634 11th Ave., across the street from Cal Anderson Park.
Now Exxel Pacific is prepping the site to host a six-story building with 80 apartments and 10,300 square feet of ground floor space for Hugo House. There also will be a 1,500-square-foot cafe on the ground floor and subgrade parking for 69 cars. The building will total 116,000 square feet. Hugo House’s new home will include six classrooms, event space for 150 people, and an outdoor area for poetry readings and the like. It is expected to open in August 2017.
Project architect Ellen Steinberg of Weinstein A+U said, “The (building’s) classic form and materials are balanced by a contemporary approach to balconies and expansive windows to promote activity at (the) street level and above.” NBBJ is designing tenant improvements for Hugo House. Meriwether Partners is the developer and Hugo Properties LLC is the owner.
Hugo House was founded in 1996 and named after poet Richard Hugo, who was born in Seattle. It serves thousands of writers each year with events, classes and other programs. Its temporary home is next to the Frye Art Museum, at 1021 Columbia St.
Copyright 2017 Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce
[gallery] shortcode not found inside [smart-grid][/smart-grid] shortcode